Previous proposalMediaWiki Extensions Made Easy
Delving into Open Source
The main focus of this talk would be to help getting started with open source, covering various aspects and technologies required.
Everyone has to start but from where? I would answer all the questions peeping in one’s mind:
1. Where to start? What organization/project to choose?
2. Where to find projects?
3. How to chose a project?
4. What do I need to learn before contributing?
5. I chose a project but what to do now? Who to contact and how?
6. Where can I find bugs to fix?
7. No one replies me on IRC, what should I do?
8. How much git should I know before starting? Should I be proficient in it?
9. Why should I contribute?
10. I hesitate before asking as I feel my doubt is stupid.
11. Winter and summer programs
All the above all questions will be answered thoroughly and extensively. The following concepts would also be covered:
1. Version Control systems: What are they and why are they really required?
2. Bug trackers, Phabricator on KDE
3. IRC and mailing lists
I am working as a Software Developer in KDE and as a Season of KDE developer and have conducted various lectures on motivating students delving into the world of open source.