Delving into Open Source
Submitted by Divyam Madaan (@dmadaan) on Monday, 2 January 2017
The main focus of this talk would be to help getting started with open source, covering various aspects and technologies required.
Everyone has to start but from where? I would answer all the questions peeping in one’s mind:
1. Where to start? What organization/project to choose?
2. Where to find projects?
3. How to chose a project?
4. What do I need to learn before contributing?
5. I chose a project but what to do now? Who to contact and how?
6. Where can I find bugs to fix?
7. No one replies me on IRC, what should I do?
8. How much git should I know before starting? Should I be proficient in it?
9. Why should I contribute?
10. I hesitate before asking as I feel my doubt is stupid.
11. Winter and summer programs
All the above all questions will be answered thoroughly and extensively. The following concepts would also be covered:
1. Version Control systems: What are they and why are they really required?
2. Bug trackers, Phabricator on KDE
3. IRC and mailing lists
I am working as a Software Developer in KDE and as a Season of KDE developer and have conducted various lectures on motivating students delving into the world of open source.